Want to create an amazing centerpiece that will wow your guests? Here is the easy step-by-step tutorial for a gorgeous DIY floral pumpkin vase.
You know how much I love decorating with flowers! Well, to make a fall-themed floral project I decided to combine a fall favorite too!
Why not combine flowers AND pumpkins in one? I’m so excited to share with you this simple and stunning combination!
This post is part of a blog hop so be sure to scroll to the bottom where you’ll find lots of creative ideas for more fun pumpkin crafts.
Gather Supplies for Pumpkin DIY Centerpiece
First things first. It’s time to gather your supplies.
- Carving tools: sharp knife or electric knife (optional)
- Vase: glass vessel to hold your flowers, sized to your pumpkin
- Floral scissors
- Vintage cutting boards (optional)
- Floral preservative
Should I Use Real or Faux Pumpkins?
I used real.
You can also choose to use faux.
They require a similar amount of work.
Faux last longer but require storage.
In this post we detail how to create a pumpkin vase using real pumpkins.
Decorating using Pumpkins
We’ve all seen pumpkins used as planters. It’s been the trend for a few years.
I love pumpkins filled with succulents. We’ve loved showcasing them in our fall decorating for several years.
We also have an easy DIY fall pumpkin post here.
How to Use a Pumpkin as a Floral Vase
I had never tried this project before, but it was surprisingly easy.
The hardest part is carving the pumpkin. And it’s not that hard.
Everything looks better on a stage. For example, place your pumpkin display on a vintage cutting board for added beauty like the ones we found below. Lovely and versatile. Click to shop.
5 Simple Steps to Creating Your Pumpkin Vase
- First, turn your vase container upside down to draw a circle on the top of your pumpkin.
- Next, step 2, carve out the top circle from your pumpkin.
- Step 3, fit your vase inside your cutout in the top of your pumpkin.
- Step 4, fill your vase with water and floral preservative.
- Finally, step 5, fill your vase with cut flowers just like you would any normal flower arrangement. I used hydrangeas and pink and coral roses.
And voila! Instant floral masterpiece!
Now it’s time to step back, admire your creation and of course capture with some photos.
Modern Pumpkin Vase Options
We hope this post gets you thinking outside the box. Using a pumpkin as a vase is such a fun, creative way to make vases for roses or peonies or any flowers for various occasions.
- use small pumpkins for vases for roses
- use one mini pumpkin as a vase for a rose at each place setting
- create a row of mini pumpkins used as vases for roses, set along a table centerpiece or on a fireplace mantel
Add beauty to your displays with these gorgeous natural dried gourds.
Special Occasions or Everyday
These floral arrangements are perfect for a variety of uses.
- centerpieces for parties, fall through Thanksgiving
- Halloween decorating
- centerpieces for weddings
- seasonal decor for your home
Best Tips for Preserving Cut Flowers
Make your floral arrangements last longer with these best practices.
- Trim your flowers about at least 2 inches at an angle.
- Remove any leaves below the water line.
- If possible, keep in refrigerator overnight to prolong life.
- Change water out every couple of days.
- Add 1/4 cup of lemon-lime soda to your fresh water. This is a proven method to prolong life.
Make everyday occasions wonderful with creative ideas like these. Enjoy!
Shop our convenient shopping links below:
Painted Mask Pumpkins || Finding Lovely
Ghost Painted Pumpkins For Kids || Happy Happy Nester
No-Carve Pumpkin Ideas || My Sweet Savannah
Heirloom Pumpkin Candle Holders || Modern Glam
Cozy Pumpkin Pillows || Inspiration For Moms
DIY Pumpkin Candle Holders || Zevy Joy
How to Make Easy DIY Floral Pumpkin Vase || The Design Twins
DIY Boho Chic Pumpkin Decor from Dollar Store Pumpkins || The DIY Mommy
Light Up Pumpkin Farmhouse Wreath || Tatertots & Jello
DIY Faux Clay Pumpkins || The Happy Housie
Easy Fall Cinderella Pumpkin Crafts // My 100 Year Old Home
How To Make Pumpkin Planters || Most Lovely Things
Blue and White DIY Pumpkins || Life Is Better At Home
Brenda Johnson says
The centerpiece is so gorgeous! I’d love to try making one!