Wondering if your time is well spent on Instagram? We’ll explore the different avenues of success on this social medial platform and let you decide.
Make money, hone your craft, showcase your talents, and get found…all on Instagram! If you have come to Instagram with your business or are hoping that Instagram success can lead to business opportunities there are many reasons to grow an account. Here are the top reasons.
1. Instagram offers Free Advertising
Hey Folks, the visibility you can achieve on Instagram is like free marketing. The cost is your time. Now, we realize that time and effort are money, but the marketing power of Instagram is real and it is available for the taking.
2. Instagram provides Training Ground
Any skill improves with practice. The practice it takes to keep up a regular Instagram account is actually GREAT training ground to hone all your skills. In addition, (unless you hire someone to do this for you) you will become a better photographer. You will learn how to edit photos, and you will learn or get better at writing and expressing yourself. Over time, you will hopefully find your “voice”. These skills can be useful wherever you head next and are marketable in and of themselves.
3. Building and Showcasing a “Portfolio” on Instagram
View Instagram as your public portfolio. While you are honing those many skills I just mentioned you are also showcasing them. As you begin to stand out from the crowd you will start to gather attention. Now you are ready for the next phase…rewards!
4. Build your brand on Instagram
If you have a store or a business to advertise Instagram is a great place to create and showcase your brand identity. Who are you and why would people want your products? Because they desire the look and the lifestyle you are showing. Instagram allows you to control and portray you and your brand for the world to see. Attract people to your feed and you attract them to whatever it is you have to offer.
5. Tangible Rewards as an Influencer
So, you’ve created a beautiful, meaningful, reliable and consistent feed. Congratulations! You’ve built a substantial following and made solid connections. Companies, large and small, have started to sit up and take notice. Or, at least, you are on their radar. What kinds of rewards can you expect as an Influencer?
Collaborations for free product:
- The first opportunities usually present in the form of free product in exchange for a post.
- “Free” is not all-together accurate. In exchange for receiving, styling, photographing, editing, and creating a heart-felt post you receive an agreed upon item(s).
- You are putting what you’ve created since you began your Instagram journey behind someone’s product. It’s great and it’s fun.
- Make sure it is in line with your IG identify, goes along with your style and makes sense to post on your feed. If it isn’t you risk losing followers by posting that “free” item.
Collaborations for product and a fee:
- Once your following has grown enough the next phase is that you will be able to command a fee. This is the goal. The “going rate” as identified by many reliable social media-savvy sources is in the ballpark between $5-$10/1000 followers per post.
- For example, if you have 50,000 followers a post should command in the range of $250-$500. Many companies will try to undercut that rate as much as possible because there are many people who don’t know their worth or are willing to work for less.
- Since there is very little public discussion regarding rates, companies take advantage of this. As long as there are people willing to work for less influencers will continue to be compensated accordingly.
- First and foremost, you have to decide on your own what you are willing to work for, how valuable your time is, etc.
- Learning to negotiate is another skill you will hone as you travel this journey. So let each experience be a step on the learning curve.
- This is a collaboration that is more on-going in nature. Every company will propose something different.
- It is up to you to negotiate and determine what makes it worth your time and effort.
- The same rules apply: never accept brand ambassadorship for a company or product that isn’t in line with your identity or your beliefs. Lack of authenticity is easily discernible. The benefits may not outweigh the costs of misaligned collaborations.
- Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards members for customers brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts. In other words, sales.
- There are several affiliate marketing programs available for bloggers. For Instagram alone, the main program is RewardStyle. Their Instagram affiliate program is called “Like to know it”.
- You must apply to be accepted into the program. Then you can receive commissions on sales from posts you create. Your followers shop via automatic email.
- Currently, this is the most viable way to monetize Instagram posts besides direct collaborations with companies.
There are many benefits to utilizing the power of Instagram. Social Media is growing exponentially and those who harness the power are sure to reap rewards, both personally and professionally. If you haven’t already, make sure you read Part 1 for the full picture on this topic. Also, you might be interested in reading our other Instagram related blog posts (shown at the bottom). All are written to help you have success and enjoy your time on Instagram.
We have many more posts in the works to continue our Instagram Insights series. We hope you will subscribe to our blog so you won’t miss what’s coming.
Jodie and I hope this summary has served both to inform and inspire you to build your Instagram feed. Who knows where it might lead. Most importantly, make sure you enjoy the journey!
Wishing you all success and joy along the road,
Julie & Jodie