Lighting is EVERYTHING! I know it sounds cliche but in this case it’s TRUE! Lighting IS everything. For this very reason choosing lighting can be a bit daunting. With every lighting choice you make you have the power to make or break a room! (No pressure…EEK!) Whether we’re talking about chandeliers, pendants, wall sconces or table lamps….lighting has the ability to add style, drama, character and charm to every room in your home. Getting nervous? Don’t be! I’m going to show you fool-proof ways to ensure you make fabulous design choices for guaranteed success!
While the focus of this post is table lamps, most of these tips can be applied to ALL your lighting choices. This post is sponsored, but ALL the views expressed are my honest opinions and based on my own experience.
Choosing the Perfect Table Lamps
First off you’ll want to start with a high-end retailer with a large selection of lights to choose from like Lamps Plus. The quality products at Lamps Plus, massive selection and great reputation mean you know you’re going to be happy with whatever you choose!
5 Key Questions To Ask Yourself
Use these questions to narrow down your choices and help you identify your perfect lighting.
- What is the style of the room? Is it traditional? Modern? Glam or farmhouse? Define the room where you want the lights to go.
- What are the different materials or elements already in use in the room? Are there different metals, gold, silver or iron in the room? Are there different color woods?
- What is the function of the lights? How much light do you want/need from them or will they be used mostly for decor?
- What is the size of the space they will be used in? This is especially important when buying on-line. You will want to take measurements and note the size of the lamps you are looking at. Pictures alone do not always provide enough information about size.
- What is the surface where the lamps will sit? Consider size and style. Are both a good fit?
How I Made My Lamps Plus Lighting Decision
Let me walk you through my lighting decision-making process as an example.
1. My Goal: More Ambient Lighting
Why ambient lighting? It adds a cozier feel to a space making it more inviting and warm. Sometimes we might not want overhead lights. Lamps give you options.
2. Create Separation Between Spaces
To create a bit of separation between the family room/couch sitting area and the kitchen eating area I decided to look for lamps for my console table behind my couch.
3. Carefully Consider Elements to Compliment Your Room
While I wanted to create more definition in the separate spaces at the same time I didn’t want to lose the open feel of the room. For this reason I decided to choose lamps made out of glass. This would allow the light to pass through and I wouldn’t create the feeling of blocking off the space.
I chose lamps with a wood element because I love the natural feel of wood. The color of the wood was also a near match to the wood bar stools I had in the kitchen. All the elements of my great room are connected, so it was important to carefully consider all these things. Even though the kitchen stools are technically in another area of the room by choosing a similar shade of wood it added a unity to the space that was very soothing and harmonious.
4. Style Decisions
Although the style in my great room is always in a bit of a flux these lamps are the perfect base to play off my different moods. My core furniture pieces are all casual, classic-modern pieces that are neutral in color and made from natural materials like wood, cotton, and glass. These lamps will be able to grow with me and blend with my decor no matter what my mood or the season I’m styling!
The next time you are thinking about adding or updating your lighting I hope you will follow these 5 important tips! In addition be sure to follow Lamps Plus on Instagram @LampsPlus for daily lighting inspiration and design trends. When you’re ready to shop head to Lamps Plus on-line or if you are local visit one of their two San Francisco East Bay Locations for a large selection of high-end lighting choices:
925-479-0193 Armed with these tips we hope you’ll find it easier to make your next lighting decisions. Now that you know how to decide you can relax and enjoy the process. Cheers to happy, successful decorating! With love, Jodie & Julie