How To transform your walls: easy DIY Peel and Stick Wood Wall
Who doesn’t love a great before and after? I know I’m a sucker for those too. Why do we love them so much? Because we see what is possible. It’s inspiring and motivating to say the least. Well, it’s my turn to show you a great before and after. I recently partnered with a truly amazing company called Olde Wood to transform my laundry room/mud room from ho-hum room into something very special. The transformation was created by my covering the walls with peel & stick barn wood. I can’t wait to show you how easy it is to create your own stunning before and after’s.
Jodie and I are so excited to be partnering with Olde Wood Ltd to showcase their unique barn wood plank product, BarnWood2Go. This post is sponsored by this amazing company, but all opinions are completely our own.
Real Barn Wood
The key to the beauty of this room transformation lies in the product I used. It is 100% real barn wood. It makes such a difference. The authentic feel of the barn wood is incredible. The wood product I used, BarnWood2Go, is taken from old reclaimed barns and historic buildings throughout the Midwest. The wood goes through a very detailed de-nail, kiln dried, sanded and wire brushed process to create gorgeous, high-quality wood planks.
Barnwood2GO is a do-it-yourself wall treatment. Specially formulated peel-and-stick adhesive strips make the installation of this “do-it-yourself” product fast, easy and permanent – eliminating the need to hire, or wait for, a contractor. With little more time than it takes to paint your walls, you can transform a room into a unique and historical work of American art.
- This barn wood product is 100% real authentic wood.
- It is milled from old barns and wooden structures from around the USA.
- You can request samples of BarnWood2GO by clicking Barnwood2GO
- They offer 8 different color options: Grey, White, Oak and Natural as part of their Modern Collection and Weathered Grey, White, Oak and Natural as part of their Weathered Collection.
- You can combine more than one color to create unique projects.
- The barn wood I chose is: White from the Modern Collection.
- This authentic barn wood uses a peel and stick adhesive that makes in a doable DIY project.
- Olde Wood has a cool installation video you can view on their website homepage.
In addition, if you use our links to purchase you will automatically receive a 10% off discount on your entire order.
The Process for Installing Peel & Stick Barn Wood Wall
1. Clean and smooth your surface. If you have textured walls you might want to use an electric sander to create as smooth a surface as possible. My walls were smooth so all I did was remove nails and sand over those holes. Then I wiped down the walls to remove dust and dirt.
2. Create a starting point. Measure down 2 ft as a starting point. Use a level and make sure this first board is level. All will be built from here.
3. Peel & Stick. It sounds easy because it is. Just peel & stick. The video shows removing one adhesive tape and leaving the other strip of tape until you have placed your plank on the wall. When we tried this, the tape ripped a couple times. This was not good. So we highly recommend simply removing all adhesive tape before applying.
4. Press Firmly. We found that pressing and holding for 10 seconds or so gave the pieces a nice solid grip. Some of the boards have a bit of bend to them and these need solid pressing. Don’t worry about perfection as in the end this adds to the drama of the wall and the beauty of the three dimensional real barn wood look.
5. Outlets. You will have to use a saw to cut around outlets, trim, and other wall irregularities. These were the challenging times, but you will soon get the hang of it. Remember: this is barn wood and beauty is in the imperfections.
Warning: Be careful as you handle the wood. Real barn wood means the potential for splinters. That being said, the final results are oh so worth a couple of splinters.
Some BarnWood2Go Questions Answered
1. How wide are the planks?
BarnWood2GO comes in three different widths. You can choose one, or a combination of any width to allow you the freedom to make your design a one-of-a-kind piece of art. They are available in individual boxes of 4.5”, 5.5” and 6.5” widths. I used a combination of all three widths. This gave us flexibility for fitting the boards on the walls. Having completed this project I think next time I would choose just one width and stick with it. There is no right or wrong, just preferences.
2. How long are the planks?
Each box of BarnWood2GO is prepackaged with random lengths ranging from 1’ to 6’ long. Note: boxes are only available in random lengths.
3. How thick is BarnWood2GO?
The average thickness of this unique barn wood plank is 5mm. This is compared to 2-3mm from competing brands.
How Much You Should Order
1. How do I calculate the square footage I need?
Calculate your square footage by measuring the length and width of your area by feet, then multiply those two numbers. (Example: 10ft x 10ft = 100 sq. ft.)
2. How much square footage is included in one box?
Each box of BarnWood2GO will vary depending on the width you select.
- 4.5” Width Box = Approx. 30 sq. ft.
- 5.5” Width Box = Approx. 35 sq. ft.
- 6.5” Width Box = Approx. 40 sq. ft.
After calculating your square footage, add 10% to ensure you have enough material to properly complete your project.
1. What are shipping costs?
Shipping is absolutely free to the continental 48 states. Charges will apply when shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, the Virgin Islands and International orders.
2. How fast are orders shipped?
Usually orders go out within 7-10 business days and then shipping depends on destination.
3. Do they ship Internationally?
Yes, BarnWood2Go can ship internationally, however, the order is subject to additional taxes, duties and custom fees.
Barn Wood Installation Questions
1. Does BarnWood2GO need to acclimate prior to installation?
Yes, it is recommended that you allow the barn wood acclimate for two to four days prior to installation. This will allow BarnWood2GO to adjust to your environment. Remove the barn word from box and place in the area of installation. This process is especially important if it is an area with higher amounts of moisture or heat, i.e. bathrooms, kitchens and areas with a fireplace.
2. How do I cut the barn wood?
You can cut the barn wood with a hand saw or miter saw. I used an electric miter saw and have to say I wouldn’t have been happy doing this project without it. My advice is definitely use an electric saw.
3. Can this barn wood product be installed outdoors?
BarnWood2Go is not intended for outdoor use.
4. Is it removable?
Yes, you can remove it from any surface. It is meant to last so it does not remove easily. Depending on the original surface, it may require repairs. We had to remove one board and it took all the paint and part of the drywall.
The Company behind the Product
Olde Wood Limited is a family-owned company in rural Magnolia, Ohio that has been in business for over 20 years. The owners are Tom & Mandy, high-school sweethearts from rural Ohio. They are a sweet, down-to-earth husband and wife team who began the compay together when they were just 17. Isn’t that crazy? 20 years later they are as dedicated as ever to this business. Incredibly passionate about what they do, their company is their baby, and they treat their 100+ employees like family.
In addition to the great product I used to create this makeover Olde Wood Ltd. also makes wide plank flooring, wood mantels, barn siding, beams & timbers, and other custom wood products. Last year they received “Best of Houzz 2017” to honor their excellence in design and service. Olde Wood creates amazing products that recylcle the past, create beauty in the present, and are designed to last through the future.
So In Love with this Barn Wood
I am literally smitten with our new laundry room/mud room. I never dreamed it could be so beautiful. Since it is our side entrance to our home I get to enjoy the beauty every time I re-enter our home. It is such a welcome site. Full of history this barn wood has the power to transform any space from ordinary to unique and extraordinary. It may sound slightly cliche, but I am now a true believer. I don’t think photos can properly portrey the real life beauty. I wish I could invite you all into my laundry room. If I could, I sure would.
As soon as I finished this project I started to think about where else I could use this incredible barn wood. I want to put it everywhere. If there had been enough time the project may have continued straight on, but I had travel plans that stood in the way. When I return home, I am going to continue this love affair by adding the same barn wood to my kitchen island and who knows where next. Be sure to sign up for our blog so you don’t miss the next blog post featuring the before and afters of my kitchen transformation.
Thanks for joining me for my first barn wood reveal. Jodie & I can’t wait to hear what you think. Please leave your comments below. We just love hearing from you. Love DIY? Check out some of our other best-loved DIY projects below: