If you are you looking for gorgeous decor on a budget (like we always are) then you are going to love this easy DIY craft. Nothing makes us happier than creating beauty in our homes…except when we can do so without breaking the budget. (And our hubbies appreciate it too!) Julie and I always love the look of decorated chairs. Whether you are looking to create an elegant look for the holidays, a special event, or a wedding, these darling and inexpensive chair decorations will have you smiling and your guests oohing and ahhing.
We also want to welcome you to our November Holiday Blog Tour! Whether you are focusing on entertaining family and friends for Thanksgiving or jumping right in to the Christmas spirit we are sure you are going to find lots of fun crafts, recipes and ideas to make your holidays extra special. Don’t forget to check out all the fun ideas my talented friends have come up with! Links are provided at the end of this post!
We have included some shopping links for your convenience. These are affiliate links and help us support our blog. We truly appreciate it when you shop with us so we can continue to bring you The Design Twins.
Create Stunning Budget-Friendly Chair Decorations: The How-To
Supplies for 4 Chairs
- 5 yards 25 mm Burgundy Velvet Ribbon
- 5 yards 25 mm Magenta Velvet Ribbon
- Pine Cones, flocked with white or silver paint (I bought mine already painted but if you can find your own and paint them yourself this would be a fabulous way to make this even less expensive.)
- Glue Gun
- Green floral wire
Note: The quantity of ribbon worked perfectly for 4 chairs cutting the lengths of ribbon as specified below.
Follow These Steps to Create Beautiful Chair Decorations
- Begin by cutting 5 strips of velvet ribbon for each chair in varying lengths. I decorated 4 chairs, so I had a total of 20 strips. I cut mine at 14″, 16″, 18″, 21″ & 22″ (see photo below).
2. Cut 5 2″- 3″ strips (x number of chairs) for the top ends that you will add to each chair as the last step. Set these aside.
3. Next, attach each ribbon to a pine cone using glue gun. Allow to cool.
4. Then arrange 5 pine cone ribbons so that they create an alternating, layered collection that you like.
5. Attach the ends of 5 pine cone ribbons together by stacking them one on top of each other and securing with hot glue. Do this for each chair set. I had 4 sets for my 4 chairs.
6. To attach to a chair like mine that has an open frame back use floral wire. First wrap the floral wire around the gathered end of the ribbons a couple of times. Hang the ribbons over the top of the back of the chair a few inches and wrap the wire one time around the top cross frame of the chair creating a loop to secure.
7. To create the frill of the ends sticking up on the top of the chair use the 5 end pieces that were already cut. Cut a dart into one end of each piece and hot glue onto the top edge of the ribbon stack.
AFTER I completed the project I thought it looked cool….but I realized I could have chosen another way of putting this together.
- Instead of gluing the 5 strands together at the top, simply tie them in a knot and let about 2-3 inches open at the end. (You may choose to cut the ribbons a couple of inches longer so you can have the extra sticking up on top.)
- Cut the ends with darts to create the look that I created by gluing on the extra ends.
- To attach the ribbons to the chair you could run the floral wire through the knot and secure around the top frame of the chair like I did above.
Variations for Chair Decorations
This same idea can be changed up depending on your personal preferences. Choose one of these variations based on your event theme, the season or come up with your own!
Swap out the pine cones and instead use:
- faux fruit
- item tied in with the theme of your event
- use multi-colored ribbons
- match the ribbons to your color theme of your party or event
Why We Love This Project
This DIY craft has all the essential components we look for in a decor project.
Have fun and use your imagination! We hope you’ll comment below and tell us your ideas! If we like your ideas we may add them to the post 🙂
Looking for more easy, inexpensive & versatile craft projects? We’ve got plenty!
Check out some of our favorites here:
Welcome to our monthly Creative Blog Hop!
This month it’s all about Thanksgiving Projects and yummy Recipes where you’ll find lots of inspiration to keep you DIYing and nibbling for months!
Meet your hosts:
Grab some Thanksgiving Inspiration