This month we decided to share our best creative ideas for spring entertaining by sharing how to celebrate spring birthdays in style. As always, for Julie and I that means we go heavy on the creativity and light on spending. Budget-friendly entertaining does not mean we have to compromise, though. We are going all out, as you will see. We have lots of affordable ideas and resources you are going to love. Another important aspect to our entertaining style is ease. We will show you how to make it special without stress. Affordable and easy, think it’s too much to hope for? Trust us, we are going to show you how. So, let’s get this party started!
For more spring time entertaining ideas be sure to read How to Make the Most of Your Next Outdoor Celebration and 12 Easy Inexpensive Tips for Outdoor Entertaining.
Jodie and I are honored to be part of The Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart Influencer Network. We love representing a brand that provides quality style at affordable prices. We receive compensation for our time and efforts in creating this post. Our convenient shopping links help support our blog work but add no additional expense for you. All our opinions are authentically our own, and as always we hope you enjoy. Click here for more Springtime Occasion Entertain ideas from the talented BHG Live Better Influencer Network.
Make Spring Birthdays Special
There are lots of great themes you can choose this time of year. Depending on the actual date you can tie in various spring-time themes like:
- spring animals like birds or bunnies
- Cinco de Mayo (Mexican theme)
I decided to create a general springtime theme and based my decisions around a specific COLOR SCHEME. As you may be able to guess I chose shades of pink with pops of soft blue and gold.
How to Choose Your Color Scheme
My advice for choosing your color scheme is look at what you own and be practical. Why not? For example, if you have a favorite set of dishes or a favorite table cloth that fits your theme begin there. If you are starting from scratch and find yourself shopping before you choose your color scheme remember to decide based around your key decorating elements. Otherwise you might back yourself into a corner. We are speaking from experience!
How many colors should you choose?
You can choose one “lead” color with 1-2 “supporting actors”. Or choose 2-3 equal players. It’s up to you. Any of these options can look great. The closer you stick to your chosen colors the more successful the impact. For spring I went with one of my favorites….and chose shades of pink to celebrate the occasion. (I also knew it was the birthday girl’s favorite color!)
Play to Your Strengths
Unless you are like Martha Stewart (and have all the time in the world to dedicate) most of us have limits to time. Some of us have limits to our skill-sets. By this I mean that some of us simply feel less confident with certain skills. Julie and I don’t love to cook and we have less time than ever to devote to cooking. So…..we focus more on setting the scene to make the birthday girl (my sweet friend, Jen) feel extra special!
And I decided on a no-bake cake alternative for our birthday celebration. A doughnut hole tower! Not only did it function as a yummy treat. It was also a festive focal point of the decor. Keep reading and I’ll show you 4 easy steps to make your own doughnut hole tower.
Make Your Spring Birthdays Memorable
We want to make sure our guests feel like it is a special event even if we don’t make things from scratch. Here are our strategies for making our spring birthdays memorable.
Show off store-bought food on beautiful display stands, pedestals, and serving plates.
This 3-tiered display stand is a new favorite of mine. It is from Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart.
This marble serving paddle from Better Homes & Gardens is elegant, stylish and functional all at once! Shop it by clicking on the photo below.
Add fresh flowers to store-bought cakes or desserts
Create something festive like this doughnut tower.
This is big on visual impact, yet inexpensive and easy to create. My doughnut tower took advantage of my presentation skills and required no cooking at all.
Fun Creative Details for Spring Birthdays
- I wrapped silverware in bundles with a piece of burlap and a ribbon. Cute, easy and inexpensive. It’s how I roll!
- Balloons instantly create a festive mood. Balloons are God’s gift to easy entertaining. They aren’t just for kids. They are simple, festive, inexpensive, and still elegant.
- Make the food part of the presentation. I choose my food based on taste as well as visual appeal. You can have both if you choose carefully. Keep in mind your mood, style and color palette.
- I even matched my consumables, my bottles of drinks, wine etc. to my color scheme. They added a lot to the overall consistent mood and color scheme. Aren’t they fun?
Freedom for Creativity
White dishes provide a blank canvas upon which to paint your story. I absolutely love my new white porcelain dinnerware from Better Homes & Gardens available exclusively at Walmart. They are such quality and of course a great value. They are elegant and versatile. I will be able to use these with every tablescape and every color scheme. The beautiful white will be perfect all year long no matter what the occasion. I love how great they look on my Spring Birthdays theme table!
This 16-piece porcelain set is only $29. It’s an amazing value. Click on photo below to shop.
Follow these easy steps to create your doughnut tower.
Step 1. Gather your supplies
- Floral styrofoam cone purchased at your local craft store. Mine was 24″ x 6″
- Doughnut holes. Guess-timate the number of doughnut holes you will need to cover your cone. Tip: Over-estimate so you don’t have to return to the store mid-way through your project like I did. You can always find willing helpers to assist you with eating the extra. To give you an idea I used about 60-70 holes. This number will vary depending on the size of your cone and the size of your doughnut holes.
- Tooth picks
- Plastic wrap
Step 2. Cover your cone in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
This was a suggestion that was given to me after I had already made mine. The cone I used was not typical floral foam but instead was green styrofoam. It was harder than floral foam and I had to push to get the toothpicks in but the good part is that it is less toxic and doesn’t break apart like floral foam (which is quite toxic). Even so you might want to cover the styrofoam with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to be safe.
Step 3. Assemble your tower.
- To do this start at the bottom of your cone and push a toothpick into the cone.
- Leave about an inch of the toothpick sticking out so you can press your doughnut hole in and attach.
- Complete your first row by attaching doughnuts one next to another until you complete the circle.
- For the second row align the doughnut holes diagonally so that the doughnuts cover as much of the styrofoam as possible and fit together like a puzzle.
- Continue all the way to the top.
Tip: Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. You can always cover holes or imperfections by adding decorations when you’re done.
Step 4. Decorate your tower: For my ‘Spring Birthdays’ theme I used fresh flowers
Other ideas for decorating:
- Use paper flowers.
- Use faux flowers or leaves.
- Dip doughnuts in colored melted chocolates or icing.
- Add edible flowers like pansies.
- Use traditional cake decorations, sprinkles or candied flowers.
We hope you are inspired by our springtime birthday party ideas. You can apply any of these ideas to your next occasion. The main thing is to play to your strengths and have fun! If you are having fun so will your guests.
Visit your local Walmart or shop online at www.walmart.com for many stylish and affordable pieces to create beautiful tables and make entertaining a joy. Here are a few more stylish choices from Better Homes & Gardens collection at Walmart that Julie and I are absolutely loving.
With love and gratitude,
Jodie & Julie