Kid-Friendly Décor: Coolest kids bedroom ideas
Craving ideas to create the coolest kids bedrooms around? Well we’ve got eight easy, affordable, and fabulous decorating strategies to make it happen. Having learned a lot about decorating in the past few years, I knew exactly where to find what I needed. Better Homes & Gardens products at Walmart offer the usability and versatility to create the perfect new space for my boys.
Roan and Reese had long outgrown their bedroom décor. The room was originally inspired by bedding I purchased when my youngest was just two years old, which was ten years ago. Obviously, it was time to transform their room. This time around I wanted to be smart about my decorating choices. Their room needs to be able to grow with them. My goal? To give them one of the coolest kids bedrooms, one they will love for years to come.
- Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart
- 1. Pick a Neutral Color Palette
- The Power of Paint
- 2. Add Wallpaper to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- 3. Choose Fun Pillows to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- 4. Play with Pattern to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- 5. Use Baskets to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- 6. Add Cool Lighting
- It’s All in the Details
- 7. Focus on the Beds for the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- 8. Add Personalized Details to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms: You’ve Got This
Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart
Jodie and I are honored to be part of The Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart Influencer Network. We love representing a brand that provides quality style at affordable prices. We receive compensation for our time and efforts in creating this post. Our convenient shopping links help support our blog work but add no additional cost to you. All our opinions are authentically our own, and as always, we hope you enjoy. For more Design Ideas from the talented BHG Live Better Influencer Network check out the latest blog roundup on BHG.com.
1. Pick a Neutral Color Palette
- When decorating kids spaces think long-term.
- Pick a neutral color palette so they can grow with the room instead of growing out of it.
- Create a neutral base in things like walls and furniture.
- Even though paint isn’t expensive it is labor intensive.
- If you crave color, we recommend adding color in the accessories.
Here’s a view of the color palette that I chose ten years ago.
The first step was to update these walls. I wanted a neutral paint color. Since this room doesn’t get a lot of natural light, I made sure to select a room-brightening shade. The shade of gray I chose is not too cool and not too warm. Just a subtle shade of gray to play off the white trim and decor
New Paint Color: Platinum by Behr
As you can see below the paint color made a HUGE difference in creating a cleaner look. The entire room became instantly brighter. The new walls provided the ideal blank slate for a whole new vibe.
The Power of Paint
My boys’ room had become a safe haven for hand-me-down pieces over the years. We cleared away clutter and donated lots of books to the local library. My goal was to keep only the essentials. The boys and I decided they didn’t need their desk anymore. We decided to keep the two small bookshelves. They provide valuable storage for the remaining books and a few of their favorite collections. In my efforts to continue to lighten and brighten the room, I painted the bookcases. Now they look brand new and perfect for their new room.
- Paint is a foolproof way to re-purpose old furniture.
- Whether you choose regular latex paint or chalk paint you can easily breathe new life into old furniture with just a couple coats and a few hours.
- Before you start painting give careful consideration to every piece of furniture to determine if it is really needed.
2. Add Wallpaper to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
- Adding a feature wall is an easy way to add style
- Peel and stick wallpaper is a great new option
- Easy to hang
- This peel and stick paper took less time that it would have to paint two coats of paint
- Super durable (made of vinyl)
- Walls wipe clean with a damp cloth, which is a bonus for kids’ rooms
- Easily removed, unlike traditional pasted papers.
Note: If your walls have texture, peel and stick wallpaper may not work.
3. Choose Fun Pillows to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
Why we LOVE pillows so much:
- Effortless decorating.
- Relatively inexpensive, especially if you shop Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart. Their prices are unbeatable.
- Fun. Add character and whimsy to a space.
- Versatile. Move them around for a fresh look.
- Seasonal. Swap them out for holidays and seasons.
- No Commitment. Play with pattern and color without high cost or commitment.
- You may not want to paint Big Bird on the wall, but a big Bird pillow is an easy YES.
- Create a neutral backdrop and add color/pattern with pillow accents.
- Don’t forget floor space. Kids love hanging out on the floor. Add pillows to the floor to create an inviting cozy place to sit.
4. Play with Pattern to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
Designer Tips to Create the COOL factor:
- Another fun way to add style and creativity to a child’s room is to add pattern with rugs, curtains and fabrics.
- This modern rug from Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart is the perfect choice. Do you see how much style it adds? I laid it down and literally saw the room transform. Can you say worth it?
- I love how it lightens up the dull carpet, adds texture and pattern while still keeping the room neutral.
- How to keep the black and white and neutral theme interesting? Play with patterns like buffalo plaid in the bedding, organic pattern in the Moroccan inspired rug and diamond prints in the pillows.
- Define areas in your room by adding rugs, even layering them over existing wall-to-wall carpet as I did here.
5. Use Baskets to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
Baskets & Bins Combine Function & Style:
- One of the best ways to update a kids bedroom is to find ways of storing toys and managing potential clutter.
- Adding baskets is a great way to do this and keep things organized for real life.
- I love these Better Homes & Gardens Fabric Cube Storage Bins. They are incredibly versatile, easily fit in all of their cube storage units, and come in an assortment of colors, textures and patterns.
- And what looks ideal under the window? The Better Homes & Gardens 4-Cube Organizer Storage Bench of course. It fits the space and looks awesome.
- In addition, it functions as the perfect storage solution. We are big fans of this versatile, affordable piece.
6. Add Cool Lighting
- Don’t forget about the power of lighting.
- These gooseneck wall sconces add just the right amount of detail to play up the modern farmhouse vibe we love.
No need to hardwire your wall lights these days. Simply secure your lights to the wall and add battery-operated puck lights instead. They may not light up the whole room, but they give off enough light to highlight the signs. Most importantly they work, and they look great.
It’s All in the Details
Once the wallpaper was up and the walls were painted the room was definitely bright, but it felt a bit sterile. Bringing the wood tones back in with the sign and the wood lamp really helped warm up the space. The warmth of the wood added a rustic, organic vibe that makes the signature farmhouse style so cozy and inviting. This lamp by Better Homes & Gardens is made of a rich honey-toned wood that looks hand-crafted. I love it.
7. Focus on the Beds for the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
Stylish Bed Frames
Every room needs a focal point. The obvious choice for a bedroom is the bed. Therefore, replacing my boys’ mismatched wood beds was very important. When I found these black vintage inspired metal framed beds I knew they were perfect. The style set the tone for the whole room. They fit my budget.
And they created the modern farmhouse style I wanted.
Highest Quality Mattresses
In addition to updating the bed frames I also wanted to upgrade the comfort and feel of the beds. I turned to Better Homes & Gardens for their amazing selection of high-quality mattresses. They have a mattress style suited for everyone, no matter how picky you are or what sleep issues you have. Each of my sons has very different needs. So, we carefully selected a mattress to fit them and their unique preferences.
Reese is an athlete who works out hard and pushes his muscles to their limit. He also runs very hot. He wanted an extra soft mattress that would help keep him cool at night. Together we chose Better Homes & Gardens Peaceful Purity Charcoal Gel Memory Foam Mattress.
For my older son, Roan, he wanted something that was soft but firm. We chose Better Homes & Gardens Peaceful Comfort Memory Foam Mattress, which he is loving. There is nothing quite like a high-quality memory foam to feel the perfect amount of support and comfort all at once.
My boys are just entering their teen years. Therefore, sleep is more important than ever. I am happy to say that since we got the new mattresses, they have not been arguing about their bed times or asking to sleep in their sleeping bags next to the dogs like they used to. They are jumping into bed and thanking me. Score a win for mom.
8. Add Personalized Details to Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms
After creating a clean, neutral backdrop it was time to make it special. Especially for kids rooms it’s important to personalize the space. At this point I asked for my boys’ input.
- What about special name signs above your beds?
- What if we include middle names?
- Or maybe just initials?
They really loved being consulted. Based on our color palette and the boys’ choices we came up with these. We really think they turned out great. And the proof? Roan and Reese love their signs.
Create the Coolest Kids Bedrooms: You’ve Got This
We all remember what it was like, don’t we? As kids, your room is your universe. It really is.
I still remember. It was the summer going into 7th grade when we built an addition onto our house and Julie and I got a brand-new room. The best part? Our mom gave us 100% say in the colors we wanted. We chose a golden yellow for the walls and a thick shag carpet in a deep shade of brown. We thought it was so sophisticated. It didn’t matter, because to us it was.
Our advice? Get them involved. Ask their opinions. You don’t have to put them in charge to make them feel like they have a say. Children don’t necessarily need to be hired as “decorator” for them to feel like the room is theirs. Involving my boys in the selection of their mattresses and their signs gave them just the right amount of “ownership.”
The other key to a successful room refresh is this: You don’t have to spend a lot to make it special. Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart products provide style and affordability, so you don’t have to choose one or the other.
You’ve got this.