chalk art 1o1: how to create gorgeous DIY stencil art
Jodie and I don’t consider ourselves artists, crafters maybe, but artists? No way. So, if we’re being honest (which we always are) we look at a blank chalkboard with a bit of fear. We have zero skills and even less confidence. Enter stencils. Who knew that a whole new world of possibilities existed with the help of stencils? Jodie just finished using a stencil to make over her family room fireplace. If you haven’t seen her amazing stencil tile transformation you can visit our informative blog post. After enjoying this success we became inspired to try stencils for other projects. In this post we will show you how easy it is to create fun, artistic chalk art designs. We’ll also show you a variety of ways to use stencils in your home.
This blog post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. As always, all ideas and opinions are our own. We hope you enjoy! (See our legal page for complete disclosures.)
Chalk Art Transfer
Chalk transfer is basically chalk art using a reusable stencil. With different colors and designs you can create a never-ending array of professional-looking chalk art on your chalkboards. The process is so easy I got the hang of it on my very first try. There’s really no “technique” to learn. It’s easy enough for children, making it a family-friendly craft project.
Today I used products from a company called Chalk Couture. You can find chalk art transfers, paste and other tools online.
Easy Steps to Creating Chalk Art With Chalk Transfers
- Plan your chalk art design.
- Peel backing off transfer (and keep for later).
- Press and smooth out onto chalkboard surfase.
- Spread chalk paste in a thin layer over transfer.
- Remove excess paste and return to jar.
- Peel off chalk transfer slowly.
- Wash transfer immediately with warm water.
- Dry transfer lying flat with sticky side up.
- Once dry replace shiny side of the backer for reuse.
Easy Steps to Creating Chalk Art Using Regular Stencils
- Plan your chalk art design.
- Place stencil on your surface and use tape to secure temporarily.
- Fill in design using chalk pens or DIY liquid chalk using the easy recipe below.
- Remove stencil & enjoy!
Make Your Own DIY Chalk Art Paints
Materials for DIY Liquid Chalk
- Colored chalk (sidewalk chalk works great)
- Cheese grater
- Liquid hand sanitizer
- Paintbrush, or paint dabber
How to Make Liquid Chalk
- First, grate your chalk into very small, fine bits using your cheese grater.
- Next, mix in a little bit of hand sanitizer.
- Keep mixing it in slowly until it turns into the consistency of cake batter.
- Mix well.
Applying Your Liquid Chalk
- Apply your stencil to your chalkboard, adhere with tape.
- Brush or dab on the DIY liquid paste.
- Press edges of stencil down firmly as you fill in.
Chalk Art: Variety of Uses
The best part about stencils and transfers is that they can be used and reused. You can get really creative with chalk art.
- baby clothes/children’s clothing
- tote bags
- wall art
- decorate furniture
The list is virtually endless. Choose your chalk art project. Use the appropriate type of paint for your surface.
Here is a fun selection of some of our favorite stencils and brushes too.
Did you enjoy these chalk art ideas? We would love to hear from you. We also love it when you pin our pins & photos.
If you enjoy trying new crafts & DIY projects check out some of our favorites below!