We’re sharing 6 Unique DIY Gift Basket Ideas to give to your loved ones this year all on a budget.
What if you could give everyone on your holiday shopping list personalized gifts all while staying on budget? You can, and we can’t wait to show you how. You will never have to rely on gift cards again. Your friends and family will love their personalized Christmas gift baskets, and your gifts will be the talk of the holidays.
- Personalized DIY Christmas Gift Baskets
- Put Love Back into Gift Giving
- Where to Buy Christmas Gift Baskets
- Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart
- What to Put in Your Specialty Christmas Gift Baskets
- Christmas Gift Basket Idea #1: Popcorn Lover’s Basket
- Christmas Peppermint Crunch Popcorn Recipe
- Idea #2: Baking Starter Kit
- Idea #3: Candle Lovers Gift Basket
- Christmas Gift Basket Idea #4: A Gourmet Chef’s Gift Basket
- Idea #5: Cozy Christmas Morning
- Idea #6: Christmas Table Hosting Gift Basket
- How to Assemble your Christmas Gift Baskets
- Creative Gift Container Ideas
- Gift Basket Filler
- Christmas Gift Basket Gift Tags
- Christmas Gift Basket Wrap Up
Personalized DIY Christmas Gift Baskets
Welcome, Friends. In case you’re new here, we are The Design Twins, Jodie and Julie. We are twin sisters who share a love for home decor inspiration, budget decorating and DIY projects. We are so glad you are here, and hope you come and stay awhile.
Are you often scrambling for last-minute Christmas gifts? By last-minute, I mean braving the madness that is the mall on Christmas Eve; mile-long checkout lines and fighting over the last turkey? Yikes. This should not be part of our Christmas experience.
With so much to accomplish during the holidays, it’s almost impossible to get it all done on time. There’s absolutely no shame; we’ve all been there at one point or another. But we are here to hopefully put an end to that. To help you avoid stress over holiday shopping, we’ve put together six personalized DIY Christmas gift baskets for everyone on your list.
Put Love Back into Gift Giving
In today’s over-scheduled, over-booked, fast-paced world, personalized gifts are becoming less and less common. Sadly, gift cards and checks are becoming more the norm. Gift giving has become so impersonal, but we want to change that.
These Christmas gift baskets are the perfect solution to putting the thought and love back into gift giving. Give gifts that express just how special people are to you. With a little bit of time and effort you can show your friends and family how much you truly care.
Where to Buy Christmas Gift Baskets
Another genius idea to avoid the crowded in-store Christmas shopping is online shopping. You can do it from the comfort of your couch (or bed) any time of day. The time you save on the shopping end you can use on the creating end.
If you’re busy like us, online shopping is your new best friend. That’s why we head to Walmart.com, more specifically the Better Homes & Gardens collection, for all of our budget-friendly holiday gift shopping needs.
On a budget? No problem, because Walmart is the king of low prices. Budget shopping is essential when your list is long. Get more for less this holiday season with Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart. Each of these DIY Christmas gift baskets started with Better Homes & Gardens projects from Walmart. These high-quality, stylish products inspired each basket. Then all we had to do was add a few finishing touches, wrap them up and tie them with a bow. It’s that easy; we promise.
Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart
Julie and I are part of The Better Homes & Gardens at Walmart Influencer Network. We love representing a brand that provides quality style at affordable prices. We are compensated for our efforts in creating this post. Our convenient shopping links help support our blog work but add no additional cost to you. All our opinions are authentically our own, and as always, we hope you enjoy. There are a lot more ideas available from the talented BHG Live Better Influencer Network.
What to Put in Your Specialty Christmas Gift Baskets
There’s something so special about giving or receiving a thoughtful, personalized gift during the holidays. Instead of buying generic gifts for everyone on your list, why not surprise your loved ones with a beautiful gift basket perfectly tailored to them. We couldn’t resist sharing these personalized DIY Christmas gift baskets with y’all. With six unique gift themes, you are sure to impress your kids, in-laws, hubby, and even your next-door neighbor. Let’s get started.
Christmas Gift Basket Idea #1: Popcorn Lover’s Basket
Do you know someone who is all about cozying up by the fire to watch their favorite holiday movie? Or someone who goes to the movies JUST to get the popcorn? Um, that would be me, just sayin’. This gift basket is perfect for the stressed-out college student who could really use a relaxing movie night in. My niece (Julie’s daughter) Bianca would love this gift. For this DIY Christmas gift basket, I decided to share one of my personal holiday favorites. I call it ‘Christmas Peppermint Crunch Popcorn.’ The recipe is just to die for. You won’t want to go without it this season.
Christmas Peppermint Crunch Popcorn Recipe
It’s super easy to make this delicious holiday-inspired popcorn.
Follow these simple steps:
- Start by popping one cup of popcorn kernels.
- Next, melt two packages of white chocolate candy melts. I like to use the microwave for this. Just 30 seconds on 50% power, stir and repeat until completely melted.
- Lay out popcorn in a single or double layer onto several cookie sheets
- Next, drizzled with white chocolate and sprinkled with holiday sprinkles.
- Next, crush 10 candy canes and sprinkle over popcorn mixture.
- Lastly, add a healthy dose of red & green holiday M&M’s to the mix.
The whole recipe takes only 20 minutes to whip up. Fill small clear plastic bags. Tie with a bow and add them to this adorable ceramic popcorn bowl from Better Homes & Gardens. This festive sweet and savory recipe makes the perfect holiday gift for anyone on your list. There’s an added bonus if you have leftovers for yourself. It’s Christmas. Go ahead! Treat yourself.
Idea #2: Baking Starter Kit
This gift basket idea is perfect for someone who is just getting into baking. This basket has my son Roan’s name all over it.
Give them a little head-start to becoming the next Great British Baking Show Champion. Just kidding, but it’s fun to dream.
- Better Homes and Gardens step-by-step baking guide
- holiday themed rolling pin & spatulas
- Better Homes & Gardens matching holiday set equipped with an apron, oven mitt and potholder
This basket is perfect for the beginner bakers in your life. Of course, it’s not everything they need, but it’s a good start to push them in the right direction.
Idea #3: Candle Lovers Gift Basket
This candle lovers Christmas gift basket is perfect for almost anyone on your list. I mean, who doesn’t love the aroma of a holiday-scented candle wafting throughout their house on a chilly winter day? I know I do.
I chose this beautiful Vermont White Spruce candle that makes my home smell like a Christmas tree forest. It’s the perfect scent to get you and your family in the holiday spirit. I recommend snagging one of these for yourself. It’s seriously irresistible. Be sure to throw in some holiday scented wax candle melts to go with these adorable farmhouse style candle warmers, all from Better Homes and Gardens at Walmart. Julie’s favorite is Fresh Cut Frasier.
Christmas Gift Basket Idea #4: A Gourmet Chef’s Gift Basket
This fun Christmas gift basket idea is great for friends or family who love to cook.
Whether their specialty is whipping up a homemade meal for their family, or just trying out a new recipe, this gourmet chef kit is just what they wished for. I decided to include these Better Homes and Gardens trendy gold and navy kitchen utensils, their acacia serving bowl and a couple of cute storage canisters to house flour or pasta. You can shop all three of these gift items from Better Homes & Gardens products at Walmart.
Don’t be afraid to go a bit practical with your holiday gift giving. We added some gourmet spices and avocado oil to complete the theme. They now have the essentials to win weeknight dinners.
Idea #5: Cozy Christmas Morning
What makes the perfect cozy Christmas morning? We started with a festive, cozy red holiday pillow from the Better Homes & Gardens collection at Walmart.
Next we added some hot cocoa and coffee, two adorable holiday mugs, and some gourmet pancake mix. Give the gift of Christmas magic to a dear friend or colleague with this thoughtful present. Throw all these items in a cute metal & canvas basket from Better Homes and Gardens at Walmart. Wrap it up in cellophane and a holiday bow. Talk about Christmas gift goals: easy, affordable, thoughtful and darling.
Idea #6: Christmas Table Hosting Gift Basket
Hosting Christmas dinner can be a whirlwind of responsibility, but you can make it a bit easier with this holiday table starter kit.
This gift is perfect for your mother-in-law, best friend or as a hostess gift for any holiday party.
- 4 salad plates from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 set of adorable Christmas salt and pepper shakers
- Holiday-themed paper napkins (also from Better Homes & Gardens collection)
- Simple taper candles
- You can add anything else you think fits the theme like silverware or a buffalo check table runner.
How to Assemble your Christmas Gift Baskets
You may be wondering, now that I have all the thoughtful and budget-friendly items for my Christmas gift baskets, how should I assemble them? As with any gift, it’s all about presentation.
- The classic look for a beautiful gift basket is wrapping a basket in clear cellophane.
- Next, tie it all up with a big color-coordinated festive bow.
- You could also choose cute holiday cellophane with reindeer or snowflake prints and finish it off with a red or gold ribbon.
- We opted for clear cellophane so the items inside could be showcased.
Creative Gift Container Ideas
- To add creativity we opted for cute wire storage baskets, like this one from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Plus, it doubles as part of their gift.
- You can get as creative as you want with your basket choice but we love the idea of choosing a “basket” that doubles as a helpful storage container or useful bowl (like the popcorn bowl).
Gift Basket Filler
- In order to make your basket look fuller and allow your gift items to be seen above the basket, fill the bottom of the basket with tissue paper or packing paper.
- Then add a layer of red and green crinkle cut paper for a decorative touch.
- This will save you some money on the more expensive decorative filler but still allow the items to stand up and be seen better at first glance.
As your final touch, add a personalized gift tag with the recipient’s name and a cute note wishing them a Merry Christmas. Voila, your basket is ready for gifting.
Christmas Gift Basket Gift Tags
About those gift tags. What makes a gift even more personal? A handmade gift tag, of course! Here are some fabulous free printable Christmas gift tags that I fell in love with.
- Enlarge the images by 141% for the perfect size Christmas basket gift card.
- Print on natural colored card stock.
- Then cut out your tag.
- Next add a single hole punch.
- String tags with jute or natural burlap twine.
- Finally, attach to your baskets.
Christmas Gift Basket Wrap Up
Rekindle an old-fashioned approach to Christmas by giving personalized gift baskets this year.
The holidays are all about embracing the magic of the season and spending quality time with friends and family. We hope you are inspired to give differently this season. Be in the moment, cherish your loved ones and have a wonderful holiday filled with joy and laughter.
For more DIY Christmas gift inspiration, check out our classic Ginger Spiced Nuts recipe perfect for holiday gift giving.