There are so many reasons why everyone is loving charcuterie boards. They are such a fun way to creatively display food. We love creating new ways to use charcuterie boards. This post will show you how we created a super festive Halloween charcuterie board in the shape of a pumpkin. We will also give you creative variations and lots of charcuterie board uses and ideas. Finally, we answer all questions on this topic, so you can be the new expert on all things charcuterie!
- Halloween Color Themed Pumpkin Charcuterie Board
- Choose a Color for Your Charcuterie Board
- My Halloween Charcuterie Board Ingredients
- Food I used:
- More Orange Food Ideas:
- Ideas for the eyes, nose & mouth:
- Other ideas for the stem:
- Instructions to Assemble your Halloween Charcuterie Board
- More Halloween Charcuterie Board Ideas
- Creative Charcuterie Boards
- Why is Charcuterie Board Presentation So Popular?
Halloween Color Themed Pumpkin Charcuterie Board
This Halloween charcuterie board design is all about COLOR.
We created an orange pumpkin using orange-themed foods.
But you can choose any color themes to match your decor using the ideas we are showcasing.
Pink is another fun color theme to use with the same pumpkin charcuterie board style.
Choose a Color for Your Charcuterie Board
Choosing your color theme will determine what foods you choose.
I chose orange for a classic Halloween pumpkin look.
I then scoured my pantry and refrigerator for anything and everything orange.
Once I knew what I had, I went to the grocery store for the rest.
My Halloween Charcuterie Board Ingredients
1 – Cutting board – I used a vintage cutting board with a handle. Yours does not have to be vintage. You’ll want to choose a large round cutting board, preferably with a handle. If yours doesn’t have a handle, you can create the visual using a prop or food for your pumpkin stem.
Food I used:
- Cheese-Ball Puffs
- Carmel Corn
- Cheddar Cheese slices
(What’s the deal with orange colored food all beginning with the letter “C”?)
- Cheese Goldfish (wanted it to start with “C” haha)
- Candy Corn (I cut off the bottom yellow part)
- Candy melts – yellow
More Orange Food Ideas:
- Mangoes, dried or fresh
- Dried apricots
- Oranges, Mandarins are a nice size, or you can use little slices
- Vanilla sandwich cookies
- Cheddar cheese cubes
For the Eyes, Nose & Mouth – What I used:
Feel free to choose whatever you want here as well.
Ideas for the eyes, nose & mouth:
- Black olives or Kalamata olives
- Dried black beans (as a non-edible option)
- Smoked Almonds (whole)
Just make sure that you choose a contrasting color for the eyes, nose & mouth.
For the Stem
- Jalapeno pepper cut to size
Other ideas for the stem:
Instructions to Assemble your Halloween Charcuterie Board
You can follow my design exactly, or you can have fun creating your own unique arrangement.
- Don’t begin to set up your charcuterie board until close to your party, unless you have a refrigerator big enough to house the board.
- Arranging everything in lines made it easy to fit everything in neatly.
- I put the cheddar cheese down first, then saw where the eyes should go and cut out the shape in the cheese to make the triangle shape. This really helped keep the blueberries in place.
- For items that roll around try alternating with food that is more stable and that will help keep the rolling food in place.
More Halloween Charcuterie Board Ideas
- Choose pink and use all pink candy to create a pink pumpkin.
- Create a white ghost choosing all white foods and contrasting eyes and mouth. Think about everything marshmallow, white cheeses, white crackers, white candy, and of course anything white chocolate.
- Create a Halloween charcuterie board using fun props like skeleton hands. Decorate in between food with small pumpkins, spiders, and other Halloween elements.
Creative Charcuterie Boards
Whether it’s for a big event or no special reason, charcuterie boards are delightful and versatile. They make a fun visual statement.
In addition, it’s a great way to entertain casually.
Entertainers are having so much fun using charcuterie boards in every way imaginable:
- for individual place settings
- individual snack boards or hors d’oeuvres boards
- traditional meat and cheese boards
- dessert charcuterie boards
- themed charcuterie boards (like ours)
What does “charcuterie” mean?
Charcuterie is just a fancy word for cured meat. The word derives from French origins in the 15th century when people used every last bit of the meat and left nothing to waste. The term charcuterie comes from two French words: “chair” which means “flesh,” and “cuit” which means “cooked.”
What are the origins of charcuterie boards?
We have 15th century France to thank! The custom spread throughout Europe, and we understand why. You may travel around Europe and find charcuterie-type shops serving cured meats and accompaniments, but the trend and appreciation hadn’t really taken off in the United States until more recently.
What is on a traditional charcuterie board?
A charcuterie board is a tray that includes cured meats, cheeses, and a variety of sweet and savory bites as well, including miniature pickles, olives, fig spreads, apricot preserves, whole grain mustards, and more.
How long can a charcuterie board sit out?
Of course, the answer to this depends on what is on your board. It also depends on the temperature of the room or environment. If you have meats and cheese typically 2 hours is the maximum. A dessert board might last longer. If the elements on the board have preservatives it can last longer, but fresh ingredients max out in even cool temperatures at 2 hours or less.
Can you serve dinner as a charcuterie board?
Absolutely. You can serve all the food groups on a charcuterie board. You can have bread served so guests can make sandwiches if desired. Estimate serving sizes for the group and plan accordingly.
Why is Charcuterie Board Presentation So Popular?
We think it has to do with two main draws. Firstly, it’s a wow of a visual impact. And secondly, it’s self-serve. So, charcuterie boards free up the host to let their guests serve themselves and allow the host to enjoy the party. How brilliant!
Here is another great Chocolate Fondue Charcuterie Board Idea we shared on our blog.
Stay tuned for more ideas on the way!